The Information Line provides support, advice and guidance for anyone affected by childhood heart disease. The Information Line is available during business hours. For outside business hours please submit an online query by clicking here.
HeartKids can assist with information about your hospital stay, for example information on available accommodation, meals, and transport and parking. In some cases we can assist families financially in these areas. We can also assist with information on the availability of certain hospital services such as social workers, occupational therapists, and speech pathologists.
Most valuable to our families during the crucial time of surgery are our Family Support coordinators. These coordinators are ‘heart mums’ and understand more than most what families are experiencing during the often tension filled hospital stays.
As well as offering support to families, HeartKids aims to increase awareness in the general community and corporate sector about the high incidence of congenital heart defects and its ongoing consequences. Please contact HeartKids in your state if you are visiting one of the children’s hospitals, or if you would like some support.
We are also interested in identifying where the gaps are in services for HeartKids, their parents and families and how these gaps can best be filled-hence we commissioned a study into this issue. The results of the study have been published as a White Paper. Click here to read more.
In a nutshell, we provide support to children with heart disease and their families by:
- Employing Family Support Coordinators in each of the major children’s hospitals throughout Australia.
- Running activities like Teen Camps for teenagers affected by childhood heart disease around Australia. Check out our recent teen camps here.
- Assisting families with emergency travel and accommodation needs.
- Running information seminars and education days, providing practical advice from experts for families affected by childhood heart disease.
- Providing the Heart Beads Program in children’s hospitals throughout Australia to focus on enriching the experience of heart kids & their families by rewarding children with distinctive beads specific to each procedure or treatment they receive.
- Managing an Information Line (1800 432 785) which is available during working hours to provide dedicated support and advice for anyone affected by childhood heart disease.
Here are some quick links to useful information that may help.