HeartKids is the only charity dedicated to supporting children, teens, and adults living with congenital heart disease (CHD) and childhood onset heart disease (CoHD) in Australia.
Congenital heart disease incorporates a group of abnormalities of the heart and is a general name for any type of malformation of the heart, heart valves or major blood vessels which are present at birth. Childhood on-set heart disease includes children born with congenital heart disease and those who acquire it during childhood.
On the 7th of January, 2024, HeartKids launched the annual Sweetheart Day campaign to raise funds and awareness about congenital heart disease (CHD) and childhood-onset heart disease (CoHD).
Every three hours, a baby is born with congenital heart disease. That's eight families severely impacted every day. Four precious lives are lost each week, making this complex condition with no known cure, one of the leading causes of infant death in the country.
Sweetheart Day is a celebration of love, raising awareness and vital funds for people impacted by congenital and childhood onset heart disease.
Taking place throughout the month of January until the 14th of February (Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Day), the Sweetheart Day invites people to join hand to donate and fundraise for HeartKids.
All money raised directly assists families impacted by CHD and fund critical research, including:
- In-hospital diagnosis and early care support for families.
- In-hospital, podcasts, digital content and professional education modules and resources.
- In-hospital and community advocacy.
- Financial support during times of hardship due to extended hospital stays, and financial assistance for bereavement.
- Care Support that provides families with practical items e.g. Care bags and Coles Cards/ food vouchers to support them during hospital stays.
- Referral service and support to HeartKids and their families/ carers across their journey.
Join us in supporting HeartKids by donating or starting your own fundraiser this Sweetheart Day.
Give your heart to a heart kid today and help us help them: sweetheartday.org.au.