HeartKids Parents as Mentors
HeartKids Parents as Mentors Program
HeartKids is growing and we need the help of highly motivated and committed heart kid and Heart Angel parents to join our new program, HeartKids Parents as Mentors.
Whilst every families’ childhood heart disease journey is unique, Mentors can offer practical assistance, share their own story, be a friendly face, a supportive shoulder and voice on the end of the phone.
The HeartKids Parents as Mentors program is modelled on the highly successful USA Stanford Children’s Hospital program regarded internationally as a model making a tremendous impact through best practice. HeartKids funded research tells us that peer to peer support is a powerful and proven means of engaging families and assisting them by reducing uncertainty, increasing connectivity and improving coping mechanisms.
HeartKids Parent Mentors work under the supervision of our team of Support Managers and Coordinators and partner with our staff in both hospital and community settings.
HeartKids Parent Mentors partner with families at time of diagnosis, during hospital stays and when they return home. In an extension of the Mentor program, Mentors are sought to support Heart Angel families. You can be involved in HeartKids hospital visiting program, coordinating groups in your local communities, participate in Playgroups and be part of telephone and tele-health support groups.
We are seeking Mums, Dads and Grandparents of children with childhood heart disease and adults living with CHD from across Australia who are willing to donate 1-2 days per month. We simply ask that you live our values, are caring, supportive and empathic.
Thanks to the generous support of The Graf Foundation and The Sheargold Foundation HeartKids will provide you with:
• Comprehensive induction training (face to face and online) and face to face professional development in your State or Territory
• Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses including car parking, public transport costs and other incidentals
• A HeartKids uniform
• Coverage under HeartKids insurance
• Funding to cover your security checks such as a Police Check and help to coordinate your Working with Children Check
• Access to HeartKids Employee Assistance Program offering free counselling and debriefing, if necessary
• Skills statement and reference after twelve months in the role
Mentors will also have the opportunity to assist in coordinating local events but are not expected to be fundraisers. Your primary focus is other parents. If you are interested please register your expression of interest.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER